Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Whimsy and The Word

Wow... a post about me. What questions should I ask myself?

How did I get started? I've had a love of crafting since I was a small child. My mom used to sew quite a bit, and every year we made ornaments together. She was also always doing "crewel work" projects for people. I have done similar projects in the past, but life overtook me and I saw crafting and creating as something not necessary. Enter my dear friend April... she encouraged me to explore what I liked and what I could do with that. Then David began to encourage me to use my skills to give joy to others. Over the past 4-5 years I've "evolved"... okay, let's be honest... some things were more beginner style, and others just became "not as interesting"... so, I found my loves... vintage, metal, jewelry, words, whimsy...

That's where the business name comes from by the way. "Whimsy" comes from my whimsical flights of fancy that sometimes end up in the creation of something new and beautiful, it also covers my love of "fairies" (which I know aren't real, but hey, they're fun to make!), and "The" refers to The Word, as in "The Word of God" , but word is also just the use of words... anyone who knows me understands this... but The Word is first and foremost.

I love using found things, upcycling, repurposing. The bracelets, ornaments and bookmarks show this love... parts of spoons and old jewelry were my inspiration. My love of old glass, door knobs, and trinkets is displayed in my "Art Bottles"... most of which are inspired from worship songs, and a few of which are inspired by whimsy.

I have also turned my love of words into jewelry styling. I have begun to learn about hammered wire, metal stamping and wire wrapping and to incorporate several of these elements into each piece. Hopefully that incorporation shows more depth than my previous pieces.

This year I made this trio of velvet bookmarks... each is adorned with a piece of vintage jewelry, stamped word tag and wire wrapped bead dangles. These would make great presents!








Once again I'll be selling my art bottles... made with found items... mostly vintage and antique, using soldering, beeswax and encaustic wax. These are lovely pieces inspired by worship music.




Bracelets are a big addition this year. I've added hand stamped metal... aluminum or copper (and I can make them to order as well, just ask at the booth.)

And I've added antique sterling spoon bracelets... the spoons are all vintage sterling, and adorned with hand wired beads. 

 There is a large variety of necklaces... both new and some of the ones I've made in the past.


 I have a few hair clips and boutonnieres left... made from upcycled flowers from a vintage bridal hat.


 These are already seeing a lot of interest... vintage/antique sterling spoon Christmas ornaments. All but one have Swarovski crystal dangles, the spoon bowl is hand stamped with Christmas wishes and thoughts, and the tops are tied with crushed silk. These can also be special ordered. Again, just see me at my booth.





And finally, these are some of the new styles I've been working on using found objects, hand stamping and wire hammering. 
 Sterling silver: "Key to my heart" featuring a sterling silver skeleton key, discs, heart and hand stamping.

 Galaxy: featuring base metal shapes, hammered copper wire along with copper wire coils, hand stamping, and wire wrapped swarovski crystal. 

 earrings to match "Galaxy"... featuring rivets in tri-tone metals.

"Star" featuring base metals... polished till the copper shows through, using rivets, hand stamping and hammering, along with a wire wrapped swarovski crystal.

There will be more at my booth, but this is enough for now. Hope you enjoy and I look forward to seeing you at Art and Soul, on Saturday, November 17, from 10-3 at Chapman's. 

No comments:

Post a Comment